John A. Cone, Jr.
As Of Counsel to the firm, John Cone provides 35 years of labor and employment experience, including litigation, trial work and counseling. Mr. Cone has extensive litigation and counseling experience in employment-related issues, exclusively representing organizations and management in matters concerning wrongful termination, discrimination, sexual harassment, ADA violations, wage and hour claims, prevailing wage matters and Labor Code 132a and S&W claims.
Mr. Cone’s trial experience includes a substantial number of bench and jury trials in State and Federal court. He has also represented management in administrative actions before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Department of Fair Employment and Housing, the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement and the U.S. Department of Labor.
- Mr. Cone defended a major motion picture studio and its producers in a high-value employment action, resulting in a nominal settlement following a partial summary judgment motion.
- In an action with a seven-figure pre-trial settlement demand, Mr. Cone obtained a defense judgment for a commercial property management company sued by a former employee on a written employment agreement.
- Mr. Cone obtained a defense jury verdict for a large aircraft manufacturer on a claim of national origin discrimination.
- In a sex discrimination claim Mr. Cone successfully obtained summary judgment on behalf of management for a leading restaurant chain.
- Mr. Cone obtained a defense jury verdict in a wrongful termination action for a major international shipping company.
Professional & Community Activities
- Employment Law and Business Litigation Sections, California and Orange County Bar Associations
- Trustee, Yorba Linda Friends Church, Yorba Linda, CA
- Legal Counsel, Not Today Coalition, a non-profit organization with a mission to end human trafficking in India
- Volunteer, Mary’s Kitchen, a homeless shelter and resource in Orange, CA
- Employment Practices Counseling
- Hostile Work Environment
- Discrimination Claims
- Sexual Harassment
- Wrongful Termination
- Wage & Hour
- J.D., 1982, Loyola Law School, Los Angeles
- B.S., 1979, Economics, Magna Cum Laude, California Polytechnic University, Pomona
- State Bar of California
- United States Supreme Court, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and United States District Courts for the Northern, Central and Southern Districts of California
- AV-rated by Martindale Hubbell since 1999
- Co-National Champion, Lincoln-Douglas Debate
- National Speech Association Bell-Scroggins Award (exemplifying the highest standards of debate)
- John J. Mason Memorial Award for Special Distinction in Forensics