Brian J. Hoops
Brian Hoops litigates on behalf of employers, professionals, and entrepreneurs involved in business litigation, real estate, and complex construction-defect disputes in state and federal courts. Brian’s focus on client goals allows him to craft big-picture solutions to resolve disputes early if possible and take cases to trial when necessary.
Before practicing law, Brian served in the United States Army Reserve Military Police Corps and was deployed to Iraq from 2008 to 2009.
- Complex Business Litigation
- Partnership, LLC, & Corporate Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
- Complete dismissal before trial for green-tech company. Brian argued that the court lacked personal jurisdiction over a tech company and secured a dismissal with prejudice, saving the client significant litigation costs.
- Million-dollar resolution of multi-party construction-defect litigation. Brian represented clients involved in litigation spanning several years with multiple general contractors and subcontractors. After initial expert opinions identified roughly $100,000 in potential recoverable damages, Brian helped retain a new expert, reformulate the damages analysis, and worked over several mediations to allocate the costs to each of the defendants, which resulted in a nearly million-dollar settlement for the clients.
- Trial victory for million-dollar dispute over commercial property. Following a three-week trial, Brian successfully quieted titled and secured development rights for a real-estate investment company to develop a large, unimproved property in Southwest Florida.
- Mid-trial settlement of fraud and unlawful business practice claims. As part of a three-lawyer team, Brian defended at trial claims of fraud and unlawful business practices. The defense strategy led to a settlement where the plaintiff conceded the dispute was a mistake.
- Dismissal affirmed on appeal for national gas-station chain. Brian argued that a national gas-station chain was not subject to personal jurisdiction in Florida over a dispute that occurred in Georgia. Brian secured a dismissal before the trial court and then successfully defended the win on appeal. Knapp v. Speedway, LLC 251 So.3d 858 (Fla. 2d DCA 2018).
- Early resolution of muti-million-dollar partnership dispute. Brian represented a limited partner against two general partners over their failure to report years’ worth of distributions and pay him his equal share of the profits. Brian spearheaded the pre-litigation strategy and drafted the complaint, which led to early mediation and ultimately an extremely favorable settlement, including an all-inclusive buyout and payment totaling millions of dollars.
Professional & Community Activities
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- OCBA Business Litigation Section
- OCBA Labor & Employment Section
- Federalist Society
- California Waterfowl Association
- Orange County Coastkeeper
- Amigos de Bolsa Chica
- Brian earned a bachelor’s degree in International Business with honors from California State University, Dominguez Hills and a juris doctor from the Stetson University College of Law. While in law school, Brian clerked for the Institute for Justice.
- Brian is licensed to practice in California, Florida, and the United States District Court for the Central District of California.