Damian P. Richard
Mr. Richard brings 15 years of combined government and defense experience representing both federal agencies and financial institutions in trials and arbitrations throughout the United States. Mr. Richard has also defended numerous trial court judgments before federal and state courts of appeal.
- Obtained unanimous defense verdict in civil fraud case on behalf of national mortgage servicer in Los Angeles County following 2-week jury trial.
- Successfully defended student loan creditor at trial in Washington state court against consumer protection claims, including obtaining judgment in favor of creditor on underlying student loan debt.
- Won arbitration trial, following both federal and state litigation, including award of attorney’s fees in favor of consumer lender.
- Successfully defended trial court judgment on appeal in published decision in Arizona.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of business trusts in federal action in California involving portfolio of over 80,000 student loans.
- Won Orange County court trial quieting title and reinstating deed of trust in favor of national mortgage servicer.
- Consumer Defense
- Business Litigation
- Real Estate
- Banking & Finance
- Personal Injury Defense
- Professional Liability
- Labor & Employment
- J.D., 2005, University of South Dakota - School of Law
- B.A., 2002, Catholic University of America
- South Dakota
- Clerk, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces, 2005-2006
- Author, Expanding the ‘Child of Either’ Exception to the Husband-Wife Privilege Under the New M.R.E. 504(D), 60 A.F. L. Rev.. 155, 169 (2007).
- Author, Banner Health System v. Long: Controlling Nonprofit Healthcare Assets in the State of South Dakota, 49 S.D. L. Rev. 541 (2004).
Professional & Community Activities
- Mr. Richard is a reserve officer, serving as a Judge Advocate in the U.S. Marine Corps. Mr. Richard has served in Iraq, Jordan, and Kuwait, in support of the Global War on Terrorism.