Valerie J. Schratz
Valerie Schratz joined the Santa Ana office in 2010, where her practice focuses on mortgage banking litigation as well as title, escrow and real estate disputes and litigation. She earned her Bachelor of Science degree in Accountancy from Arizona State University in 2006. Ms. Schratz graduated magna cum laude from Chapman University School of Law in 2010. She was admitted to the California Bar in 2010 and to the Arizona Bar in 2011. Ms. Schratz handles litigation throughout California and Arizona.
Ms. Schratz has extensive litigation experience, including the defense of lenders, loan servicers and trustees in real estate and mortgage banking disputes. Ms. Schratz also worked extensively with title industry interest groups to rewrite and support proposed litigation that was ultimately adopted into law as California Civil Code section 2943.1.
- Following a lengthy bench trial, Ms. Schratz obtained a complete defense verdict, thereby validating the clients’ lien against a $1 million property.
- After foreclosed borrowers sought monetary damages in excess of $100,000, Ms. Schratz prevailed on summary judgment as to all claims.
- Ms. Schratz obtained summary judgment against a borrower who asserted claims seeking to invalidate the loan against his $2.3 million home.
- Ms. Schratz settled a case involving wrongful title recordings and out of state complex bankruptcy proceedings, resulting in recovery to her clients of $1,050,000.
- Following a fraudulent claim to title, Ms. Schratz obtained a quiet title judgment in favor of a homeowner in Santa Monica, California, including an award in excess of $17,000 against the claimant.
Professional & Community Activities
- Orange County Bar Association
- Chapman University School of Law Alumni Association
- Arizona State University Alumni Association
- California Land Title Association
- California Mortgage Banker’s Association
- California Escrow Association
- Agent & Broker Liability
- Business & Corporate Governance
- Business Formation
- Business Litigation
- Elder Law
- Mechanics' Liens
- Mortgage Banking & Finance
- Premises Liability
- Real Estate
- Title Escrow & Real Estate Transactions
- J.D., 2010, Chapman University School of Law, magna cum laude
- B.S., 2006, Accountancy, Arizona State University
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Arizona
- United States District Court, California Northern, Eastern and Central Districts
- Tax Law Emphasis Certificate, Chapman University School of Law, 2010
- Merit Scholarship, Chapman University School of Law, 2008-2010